Now that summer is drawing to a close have you noticed a change in how your hair feels or looks? Hair texture can change with the seasons, especially summer and winter. Spending time in the hot summer sun feels great but it can be damaging to your hair. Fixing dry frazzled hair or limp hair means making a few changes. Here are some hints that will help:
1. If you spent a lot of time in the sun and/ or in chlorinated water this summer your hair might be looking dry (chlorine is damaging). To get it back to looking its best use a deep conditioner. A deep conditioner helps reverse the damage done to hair. Salon product lines such as Matrix or Redken will have deep conditioners.
If you plan to continue to swim in chlorinated water and you want to prevent damage, start by wearing a bathing cap, apply a leave in conditioner to your hair before you swim and rinse your hair as soon as you leave the pool. If you choose to a use anti-chlorine shampoo only use it once a week because it can strip hair of essential oils.
2. Give your hair a break from blowing drying by letting your hair air dry a couple times a week – weekends for example.
3. Deep condition at least once a week.
4. If your scalp is itchy after spending time in the summer sun skip a few days between shampoos.
5. If you haven’t changed your shampoo and conditioner since last winter and you feel your hair is being weighed down try a lighter formula. Get a new hair style – cut it shorter if possible and start anew.