No matter what their size, most women want to look slimmer. By wearing clothes that are appropriate for your body shape you can look as much as 10 pounds slimmer. For those who are tired of dieting or just can’t seem to lose those last few pounds choosing clothes that are right for you and suit your body type will make you look slimmer – instantly.
This is how it works; we are all built with our weight distributed in different places, which makes us unique. Manufacturers are not concerned about how clothes look on the average female but how it looks on models. They create fashion looks for the ideal body type. If you do not have the ideal shape and wear whatever is in style or looks great on someone else you may be hiding your assets and dressing to make yourself look bigger, out-of-proportion, or unattractive.
The last thing we want to do is create a look that makes us appear larger or out-of–proportion; however, that’s what we do when we are not aware of the impact of line, design, proportion and color. Line and design is much more that wearing horizontal stripes, it is how the lines in the garment are formed, the shape and proportion of garments and how they are used to create the best look and how the lines of the body interact with the lines in clothes.
Also, with color, it is not simply what color looks best on you (which is very important) but how color works with the lines of a garment to determine the final look. Here are some general guidelines that will create a slimming look but is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to dressing to your full potential and looking slimmer.
Tips to Look Slimmer:
1. Don’t wear frills or extra material that adds bulk. Don’t wear bulky sweaters, or sweatshirts.
2. Avoid shiny fabrics such as velour and satin
3. To make your legs appear smaller wear dark hose. Don’t wear patterned tights.
4. Don’t wear oversized, shapeless clothing to hide bulges– they will make you appear larger instead.
5. Wear undergarments that have good support
6. Dress in monochromatic colors without patterns. Darker colors will make you appear smaller – navy, dark green, gray or black.
7. Avoid horizontal stripes. Thin vertical lines will give a slimming look.
©Copyright Sheila Dicks 2005
Sheila Dicks is an Image and Wardrobe consultant who helps women feel more confident by dressing to suit their body type. To get tips on how to dress slimmer and find your best styles get a copy of her ebook “Image Makeover” at http://www.how-to-dress.com or go to http://www.sheilasfashionsense.com to get the Free Report “ 7 Things Your Girlfriends Won’t Tell You About Beauty and Fashion”.